- Cathedral in the Gothic style
- Built from around 1200 to 1513
- Height of the tower 116m – can be climbed
Freiburg Minster is the distinctive landmark of the city of Freiburg and one of the most striking churches in the Black Forest. Construction started around 1200 in the late-Romanesque style but was subsequently continued in the Gothic style. The nave and tower were completed around 1330 and were followed by the construction of the choir and other extensions with several lengthy interruptions.
The tower of the Minster, the only Gothic church tower in Germany, was completed in the Middle Ages, and is described on occasion as 'the most beautiful tower in Christendom'. The tower can be climbed by visitors, and the look-out platform provides a wonderful view of the city. The interior, which is awe-inspiring in size and home to some remarkable pieces such as the high altar by Hans Baldung Grien and another altar by Hans Holbein, is also open to the public.
Opening hours tower
- Tower is closed for visitors because of renovation until end of 2017 !
- Working days : 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
- Sundays: 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm